Natural Allergy Medicines
Spring has definitely come to San Diego in these past few weeks, and along with that comes, for some, the dreaded allergy season! If this is a difficult time for you, and daily sneezing, watery eyes, runny nose and an overall feeling of yuckiness is “your normal” for the next several months, you may want to consider seeking the help and advice of a homeopath.
Homeopathy is different to the conventional approach for allergies. The conventional approach is to suppress symptoms with medications (ie., antihistamines, decongestants, steroid nasal sprays, bronchodilators, etc) as well as avoiding the triggers that make us worse. While this approach may give you relief, it is only temporary until the next season rolls around. Often times these allergy medications hold some stiff side effects as well. For some, this time of year may have you feeling like a hostage to the season, and who in Southern California wants to be indoors when the weather is so gorgeous!
Homeopathy gets to the root cause, strengthening the immune system that is over reacting to the environment through these allergy symptoms. The solution to preventing the recurrence of these symptoms is to put the body back into balance, so that the body is no longer sensitive to allergy triggers, whether they be spring pollens, dust, or animal dander.
Besides homeopathy, there are some dietary changes that can also help to strengthen the immune system and put the body in balance. You may want to consider a gluten-free or dairy free diet during these more difficult months. This seems like a catch all approach these days, but I have seen people improve greatly just by making this simple change to their diets.
Incorporating a few supplements into your daily regime also helps. Consider the following:
- Quercetin 400 mg, 2 times a day to stabilize histamine releasing cells
- Bromelain 1000mg, 3 times a day between meals to reduce inflammation
- Vitamins A, B-complex and C with bioflavonoids also will help strengthen and support you throughout this time.
And for homeopathic support, consider the following remedies for short term relief:
- Allium cepa-burning discharge from nose, bland discharge from eyes, light hurts the eyes, sticking/pricking sensation in the larynx.
- Euphrasia-eyes very swollen with thick burning discharge, bland discharge from the nose, coughing up phlegm, feels worse indoors.
- Sabadilla-violent sneezing, itchy nose, red and swollen eyelids, runny eyes, headache as if head is shrinking, chilly, person’s thinking is dull and slow.
- Nux vomica-stuffiness and blocked breathing, itchiness inside of ears, the eyes burn and are sensitive to light, person is irritable.
- Pulsatilla-bland yellow discharge from the nose and eyes, weepy or tearful disposition, person feels better in open air.
- Arsenicum album-wheezing and tightness in lungs, burning in throat, person is restless and worried.
- Arundo-early in hay fever season with tickly nose and sneezing, no discharge, roof of mouth is itchy.
All of these remedies can be purchased at your local health food store or by going on line to Hahnemann Labs or calling them at 888-427-6422. The common method for dosing is in the 30c potency, three pellets repeated every 2-4 hours until improvement. If there is no improvement, consider one of the other remedies, or seeking the advice of a local professional homeopath.
So, get out there and do what you love best, whether it’s a hike in the hills, a walk on the beach or gardening in your yard. Don’t let seasonal allergies get you down for one more day! Enjoy!!